Monday, February 7, 2011

Sarah Dessen




The first Sarah Dessen book I bought was her fifth one, This Lullaby, at Page One. I loved it (it’s still my favorite one of hers) and so I gradually bought all the rest. Can't wait for her newest one, which comes out in May (excitement!). Sarah Dessen’s books all have to do with teenage girls and things that they cope with, ranging from parents and sibling issues to teen pregnancy and abusive relationships. She explores these often sensitive subjects with grace and humor, using witty supporting characters and side plots to add depth to the stories. And of course, there is always a boy, although the conclusions regarding the protagonists and the boys may not be what is expected.

One thing I especially love about Sarah Dessen’s books is that characters from her previous books make cameos in her newer ones. I always feel that simple sense of accomplishment when I identify a name or recognize a reference.

Sarah Dessen’s books can be viewed as chick flicks, but I think they address relevant issues that run deep and are executed in ways more sophisticated than the average beach read.

6 comments:

  1. Omg. This is amazing. I love Sarah Dessen, too. Have you read Along for the Ride? Definitely my favorite, although I LOVED This Lullaby as well. Oh, and The Truth About Forever! I love them all. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two of her books that I have yet to read, I hope they are as good as you say because I have been excited to read them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read something from this author... I must repair it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!
    SO many awesome S.D. books!
    I really need to check her out!

    Perhaps if you have time, would you mind stopping by my blog?
    Thanks!
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not... I've never read anything from her... >.< I think it's quite unbelievable myself! I think I will definitely add a few of her books to my next book haul though! :P

    - Kim (http://xokimreads.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I was searching for all the sarah dessen books (so i can read all of them) and found your site! I have read 5 books of hers. the latest is this lullaby which is probs my fave too! Also I have a blog, please could you check it out?
    littlemissnotsoperfect2.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete